I have booked a 2 day holiday break to a lovely resort and don't really have 'resort wear' in the wardrobe.
Being so fair, I need a light weight shirt to wear over swimmers or singlets when in the sun. I have the most divine blue linen in my stash which was purchased this time last year at the Fabric Store in Brisbane. I had always planned to make Burda 06-2011-104 from it and this was my opportunity.
Photos are on Diana, but I will try and arrange some on me ... maybe on holiday :)
The only pattern variations I made were to cut a size 38 upper and take it out from waist to the hips to a size 40. I try and kid myself, but I am a pear and my measurements are 38 top half and 40 bottom half. I felt as this top was quite narrow I didn't want it to be tight around my hips. It fits really well.
The only other variation to the pattern was to make the sleeves wider. I noticed when I sewed the first sleeve seam and tried it on my arm it was going to be too cosy, so I unpicked that seam and sewed the seam narrower. I then took a little off the top of the sleeve cap to counter the extra width.
I used my new flat fell foot (bernina foot no. 70) to sew the centre back seam.
I love the bands and the button detailing that extends past where the top meets..
My only disappointment (and this is nothing to do with the pattern) is that I didn't sew the back neckline band evenly. The front bands are straight and easy to sew accurately but I should have marked a seam line to follow on the curve...
I would really like to improve details like this. My only consolation is that the wonkiness is pretty much even from side to side so it may look intentional.
Next up are some (hopefully) casual flowy pants...Ciao!