Sunday, May 31, 2009
Saturday, May 23, 2009
The cream fabric which is hard to see in the photo is a knitted acrylic and cost $12.95/m and will become Burda 8291.
The olive green fabric is a poly/viscose mix and cost $14.95/m and is destined to become Burda WOF 03-2009-105C.And the stripe is a cotton-elastane and cost $8.95 m! It was only 112cm wide but still a bargain I thought. I was hoping to make Burda WOF 07-2008-114, but this could be reviewed yet. Anyway some sort of casual skirt...
Sunday, May 17, 2009
I just reattached the sleeves I had cut off. I had to trim the sleeve at the top seam, as I had a cut in the fabric where my scissors must have slipped when I cut the sleeves off.
Amazingly, it has come together. It is probably a bit wonky and you could never get away with butchering a garment like this if it was from woven fabric but the knit fabric is very forgiving.
It is a little low cut but doesn't show my bra. When you look at the pattern cover it is fairly low in the pictures too so I probably would have always ended up wearing it with a cami.
I am quite pleased I persisted with this top as the fabric is lovely and I like the style. However I am trying to decide if I should toss the pattern or would I ever be foolhardy enough to give it another shot!
Tuesday, May 12, 2009
The fabric is a 'cheapie' from Spotlight. It is called Manhattan and was marked as full price $10/m but it was on the clearance sale so I got it for $2 /m so it was a good fabric to try this pattern with. I am not sure I love all the dots but the fabric has quite a nice feel. Bargain dress though!
dOh! As I was comparing the photos to the picture on the cover I realised I have put the cuff on the sleeve the wrong way. The split in the cuff should be toward the front not the back! I was to lazy to compare the markings, so that's what happens. I am not taking them off and fixing them as they are overlocked on... dOh!
I can see why everyone loves this pattern. The front neck opening sits lovely and close to the body so there is no fear of fall-out or gap-age. It also does wrap generously.
I made this dress so that I would have a sleeved knit jersey dress for work as they are so great to throw in the gym bag and then just pull them out , pop on and viola - dressed for work! I still have to decide if I like this style on me enough to make a second one as I had initially planned. In another fabric I like better I may be more in love with it.
As for fit - what a great pattern, it comes together really well and is not difficult to make. However it still did take quite a while to do, even cutting took a while. It was one of those outfits best cut one day, bodice sewed the next, then finish another.
Sunday, May 10, 2009
The fabric is a cotton-elastane bought from Gardams in Toowoomba. I think it will be very comfortable to wear.
My next project is Vogue 8379. My biggest decision is which fabric in my stash should I use for this dress. I have cut out the tissue and my main fitting concern was to check the length of the bodice. The waist mark lands pretty much on my natural waist so I am going to leave the pattern as it is. I do have a vague concern that it may feel high on the waist, but not because it is short in the bodice, but because lately most things I wear do not land on the natural waist but below it. Anyway I will try one first before I start fiddling with the pattern.
Hope everyone else had a lovely Mother's Day and that your sewing is going well!
To all Mum's out there, have a lovely day and enjoy your children!