Thank you everyone for the feedback on my Vogue wrap dress of my previous post. I do think it should be shortened about an inch or so, but will probably not bother with this iteration as it is such a lot of work to hem it again. I do plan to make another version but I would like to use a plain fabric for this version , so I need to probably buy some as I am not loving anything in the stash for it! The waist feels high but I do think it is sitting on the right spot. If I lengthen the bodice, then the wrap won't be on my narrowest part so I think I will leave the bodice length well enough alone. I do think it feels high mainly because we wear so little right on our natural waist.
Well, this week-end I was at a bit of a loose end as to what to sew next, so decided to use my sewing time in a constructive (but slightly boring) fixing, repairing & hemming mode. I took the hem up on a pair of new trousers for my husband and repaired the hem on another pair as well as on my son's school trousers.
After that bit of martyrdom, I took in this skirt, which was sitting a little too low now as I have lost some size since I made it. I have two other skirts that need the same treatment but didn't start them this week-end.
My next repair job was to try and resurrect Vogue 8390.
I made this top last year soon after I started clothes sewing again but probably before I was really into Pattern Review. If I had known to check the pattern reviews it would have been a big help! Here is the unfortunate 'before' shot.
It doesn't fit. I made a size 16 and it was too big even when it was first made. Now I have gone down to a size 14 it really isn't working. As well as that the front sags horribly as the two front pieces are faced completely and the weight pulls the front down so it looks like my front is trying to melt off me! The bottom hem is uneven and hangs really badly. I know it is hard to see with the black fabric but take my word for it - it was really bad!
I cut it all apart at the seams by actually just cutting the seams off as I was not about to try and unpick this fine black jersey which was overlocked (serged) at all the seams. Then I discarded the facings and started putting it together again. I sewed the shoulder seams and then attached foe (fold over elastic) to the neck edge. Then I noticed that I had the two fronts on the wrong sides, so I put the whole thing in the bin and went away to stew over it. After I had a few hours to cool off, I pulled it back out of the bin, and started the unpicking.
I sewed the shoulder seams again and decided I should probably read up on how to attach the foe. So back to pattern review and I found out that I could attach it in one go using the triple zigzag stitch. Of course the first time I managed to miss some bits so I started unpicking (again!) - not a good idea. I got tired of this very quickly and just cut it off. I tried again taking a lot more care and had success the second time. BTW, the elastic looked stretched out when I had finished stitching but I steamed it with the iron and it came good.
Detail picture of foe...
Then I finished the top with much basting and checking, basting, checking and finally got this...
I just reattached the sleeves I had cut off. I had to trim the sleeve at the top seam, as I had a cut in the fabric where my scissors must have slipped when I cut the sleeves off.
Amazingly, it has come together. It is probably a bit wonky and you could never get away with butchering a garment like this if it was from woven fabric but the knit fabric is very forgiving.
It is a little low cut but doesn't show my bra. When you look at the pattern cover it is fairly low in the pictures too so I probably would have always ended up wearing it with a cami.
I am quite pleased I persisted with this top as the fabric is lovely and I like the style. However I am trying to decide if I should toss the pattern or would I ever be foolhardy enough to give it another shot!