Well I have been enjoying my freshly painted sewing studio very much. The reorganisation was well worth the time and pain. I have been working on a quilt but need to hand sew the bindings and gift it before I can show you pictures.
This week-end I decided to do some quick and simple clothes sewing to clear the palate after the quilting.
I bought 1m of fabric of the clearance section of Spotlight for $5. However it was not as noted on the tag. I did realise the fabric was not nylon/poly as noted on the tag. I could see and feel that it is a nice soft knit - I suspect rayon. However it was folded double on the roll and I wondered how wide it was and believed the swing tag that it was 150cm wide... why?? I had planned to use it to muslin a Kwiksew tee shirt pattern, but of course as the fabric was not as wide as needed so I had to look for another pattern - Ottobre 02/2010 -1 the Linnea top to the rescue. I have made this top twice before but one version shrunk so as this top is a similar colour it will replace it.
Sad tale continues... I forgot to add the seam allowances as I cut it! Sooo... I have a nice top which I have sewn the smallest of seams on and I will wear it even though it looks a little tight over the bust. I get a few of the pull wrinkles there... *sigh*. However for $5 I am declaring it good enough so this is my finished top on Diana... fits her a bit better over the bust as I have put on weight, but Diana hasn't...
This is a great top to wear with the Tessuti Suzy pants I have made.
And while I was on the theme of forgotten seam allowances I thought I would fix a top I made back in April of 2012. It is a another Ottobre - Cool Hippie from 05-2011.
It was made sleeveless as I didn't have enough fabric for the sleeves but had a big opps moment with the collar. I cut it the wrong way the first time, then when I cut it the second time I forgot the seam allowance... and of course, did not have enough fabric to cut it a third time.
I did wear it a few times but the collar was way too tight and uncomfortable so it was relegated to the 'to be fixed' wardrobe. Finally I have got a around to it. I cut the collar out and used chalk to mark a new neckline which was based on the neckline of the Linnea top's sister Morning Blush 02-2012-18. Same pattern as the Linnea but with a different neckline. Then I turned under and stitched... new top in the wardrobe.
I am really pleased to have it back in the wardrobe as I find this teal/turquoise colour works really well for me.
Well thank you for listening to my tales of woe... Hopefully more successful sewing results to show you next time...Ciao!