Thursday, September 17, 2020
Monday, September 14, 2020
I had started planning a new wardrobe to sew for Spring / Summer when I saw that Pattern Review are hosting a 10 piece wardrobe contest. I took the plan I was putting together and used it as a basis to fit in with the Contest rules.
The official rules are:
1 -Sew 10 unique garments during the contest period. The garments must be as follows:
Make 1 Topper
Make 2 Bottoms
Make 2 Tops
Make 1 sewn accessory
Make 4 Free choice (top, bottoms, topper, maximum of 2 dresses or 2 jumpsuits or 1 of each, maximum of one additional accessory)
2 – All of the items must form a cohesive wardrobe.
It took a bit of thought and planning but over a few days this is the plan that came out.
Friday, September 11, 2020
I have finished the 1985 vintage blouse started last post - Simplicity 6804 from 1985.
Notes on the make -
- I made it two sizes smaller than the pattern sizing indicated on the pattern. No finished measurements were given on the pattern so I flat measured at bust height and determined my preferred size from that.
- I shortened the pattern by 3 inches.
- I didn't love the way the shirt tail hem was finished. Front and back finished separately then side seams sewn. To get it all to match you need to mark the start of the side seam / start of the hem curve better than I did. I had to fudge it a bit.
So I live in hope I will get modelled shots some time. If you are on the hunt for your own vintage pattern or just love looking at them then please check out my Etsy shop for vintage and OOP patterns - SusysSewingEphemera.
Friday, September 4, 2020
On instagram I happened upon a new challenge running for September that really caught my attention, SewVintageSeptember. As I said last post I would love to sew a 1960's vintage frock and my interest in vintage has really piqued since I opened an Etsy shop selling vintage and out of print patterns.
I wanted to be involved but did not have a 60's frock pattern lined up yet so checked though my stash (including my shop) and pulled a pattern from my shop. It is Simplicity 6804 from 1985.
Thursday, August 27, 2020
My wardrobe needs more woven tops. I made a ton of tees a while back but have very few dressier tops. I also do not have enough tops with full length sleeves. I tend to favour 3/4 sleeves and while they look lovely, they don't work in the middle of a cold, windy winter.
So I went through my Ottobre mags and this is the one I found that appealed to me. I like the pussy bow as it makes a nice change from a collar. I also like the soft gathers from the front yoke and the sleeves with a bit of fullness for drama.
In the stash I found a piece of georgette (I think?). It would be a polyester but has a nice drape and weight. The print is a bit darker than I normally go for but I really liked it when I saw it. I bought it at East Coast fabrics last year. The only issue with the busy print is that it is hard to see the details of the bow.
The only alteration I made to the pattern was that I did not make plackets and the narrow buttoned cuffs. I thought it would be difficult to make the narrow cuff in this fabric so I decided to keep it simple and just sewed a casing at the sleeve-end and inserted narrow elastic. I quite like the effect.
Wednesday, August 19, 2020
I am going to make a concerted effort to get into blogging again as I have been getting into clothes sewing again. My clothes sewing was in the doldrums a bit as I put on a bunch of weight and was having trouble working out what worked for me now. I have been dabbling with mixed results but think I am getting into the swing of it again. So for now I am catching up and will apologise in advance as the photos mostly will be on my dressmaking dummy. I plan to try and get more modelled shots later but did not want to have that delay me up from blogging about my makes.
In my last post I made the revised Rhapsody blouse which I still love (but haven't worn much as it has been too cold for it). I wanted to put an entry into my QCWA Division's dressmaking contest (been a member for a bit over a year), so I thought the Rhapsody dress would be perfect because of all the great details - concealed yoke, french seams, narrow binding, cuffs, etc.... It needed to be a complete outfit and I did not have a lot of time so decided a dress would be more time efficient than two seperate pieces. I used a rayon I had bought from Spotlight recently when it was on sale. The fabric is lovely with a sweet floral print but has a dark background so it is a bit hard to see all the details easily. This is the finished product.
Oh, and I am super proud to say that I did win at Division level in the Smart Casual Garment section.
Sadly though because of Covid, the State level of competition will not be proceeding but it may get displayed at an upcoming showcase of the competitions we hold. This dress has not been worn yet but I look forward to wearing it when the weather warms up.
Ciao kittens, more makes real soon....
Monday, May 4, 2020
- Note the size printed on your pattern somewhere, as you can't tell what size you have if you have the other layers turned off and you cut the pattern on your size line. The size is incorporated into that line.
- I made the bishop sleeve at 3/4 length (a new option) and the elastic measurement would have been too small for me. I think it may be the elastic size for the original long sleeve option. I added 2" and cut my elastic at 12".
- I put the binding on (I think) the opposite way to that shown on the pattern. I sew the RS of the binding to the inside of the neckline and then flip to the front and top stitch. I had the impression in the pattern they start at the outside and flip to the back.