Monday, April 9, 2012

StyleArc Maggie Jacket

StyleArc Maggie jacket - what can I say?  

A great pattern - fabulous drafting but minimal instructions.  I have to say though, I really enjoyed the challenge of putting it together.  

It was a good test to see how my sewing skills are going and I think I rose to the challenge! :)




 I don't think it looks exactly like the diagram, as the collar sits much higher when the zip is shut.



However, for this style of casual jacket, unless I was out on a real chilly day it will be worn unzipped with the collar lying open, which I really love.


 I used some stash fabric, a black rayon blend double knit from Gorgeous Fabrics.  It is lovely and soft and I think a good weight for this jacket.  I had to buy the fabric for the contrast trim (inside collar, pocket tabs and zip front) and I snagged a really soft pretty blue corduroy from Spotlight for $2 for the metre from a sale rack (usually $12/m).  I love the soft fabric at the neckline - makes it lovely and luxe feeling to wear.  The only difficulty is that it is doubled over for the pocket tab and ended up so bulky it was difficult to sew the seams near it.


 As you can see in the pocket detail photo above, I found a rib which is striped in grey/black.  I wanted a nice heavy rib and found this at Crafty Mama's.  NAYY but I love that site for bits and pieces like this - no postage cost in Australia!  I would not be able to find such a nice weight rib locally so was very happy with this one.


 The jacket is lovely and long, so keeps your hips warm - I like that!

And the shot on Diana.  I found a zip locally and had my first shot of shortening a zip by myself.  I was happy to learn that new skill too.


When I get some time I would love to sew another of these jackets, as this casual style really suits my lifestyle.    

 More cool weather sewing to come next post! Ciao...

18 comments:

  1. Looks really great on you! Karen

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like this very much. I need to make some jackets like this.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great work on that jacket. All the different fabrics come together nicely.

    ReplyDelete
  4. A most useful jacket. It looks very stylish!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love your jacket and the use of the different fabrics really makes it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a great jacket! your excellent version reminded me I need a new spring coat - thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Perfect jacket for a spring or fall day. It seems that many of those stand-up collars are quite high.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This looks great Sue ! Something that you will get so much wear out of, the fabrics really work well together.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love your jacket Sue - though isn't anything made with Style Arc a fab pattern? They really do their patterns well!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Nice work on the jacket! I like the mix of colors, pattern, and texture.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Nice work Sue. And you really are preparing for the cold weather.

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a great casual jacket - you'll get so much wear out of it.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Sue, this is one sleek and chic jacket! You have confirmed that Style Arc patterns create (along with a talented seamstress as yourself) styles that compete with high quality RTW garments.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Sue, this is one sleek and chic jacket! You have confirmed that Style Arc patterns create (along with a talented seamstress as yourself) styles that compete with high quality RTW garments.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Looks great on you and love the funky fabric choices. Gosh you are right about that neck, never would have guessed it was that high - could double as a balaclava for bad hair days?

    ReplyDelete
  16. Looooooove your jacket, you did an awesome job.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Love this jacket, the purplely-grey accents look lovely.

    ReplyDelete

Love to hear what you think...