Saturday, March 23, 2013

Wardrobe Capsule - item 1 - stripey top

I have sewed two items from my planned wardrobe capsule, however one has ended up in the bin. 




The planned camel ponti skirt was supposed to be a simple tube skirt, but the rayon blend ponti in a light colour showed every lump and bump.  I tried to add a lining but had more problems... was not worth spending any more time on it.

Since then a success - the cream brown stripe boat neck top.  I used my TNT Burda 02-2009-108.  The fabric was a rayon blend (I think) marked as a Japanese fabric from Spotlight.  The quality is lovely, however the fabric has a very strong recovery and it pulls up a little at the sleeve head.  



I am not sure if I made this top again from a strong fabric like this, maybe I should add a bit more width to the shoulders. 



This top has fit right into my current wardrobe.  Love it when that happens.  I also love that it coordinates with my Jalie vest.  The wool jersey vest I made last year and love to wear but it's strong colour has made it a bit of an orphan.  Now I feel it has found a top that can handle the colour.


I have worn this top twice now and just pulled it off the washing line.  I found it had found a friend.  A striped moth thought my top was the perfect camouflage...


Every time I tried to shoo it off, it just flew right back.  Anyway more knitting in my next post and hopefully a shirt for my eldest will be finished soon as well... Ciao!   

10 comments:

  1. It's a winner! Love it with the vest too. Great pop of colour.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like a solid wardrobe plan. I need to make some basics myself. I do like striped tops, they are as versatile as solids but have a bit of interest.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks like a very versatile basic. Love the camouflage moth!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love your top, and the moth pic is too cool!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Will I EVER be able to successfully pull together a wardrobe capsule. Love your plans and your new garments made for it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very cute top! The fabric is very pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love your top - looks great with the Jalie. Be careful of those pesky moths - they just love to eat fabric. My favourite RTW dress just fell victim.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Why doesn't spotlight have fabric like this when I visit? Your top looks excellently wardrobe building, and I love the moth! I haven't had moths nibble at rayon, they just seem to love silk and wool at my place.

    ReplyDelete
  9. The moth really did find the perfect camouflage! The top is a great match for the vest--excellent styling.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Nice top! Wardrobe capsules are a great idea. I plan to have a few in my wardrobe. I think I need to figure out how to put one together like you have rather than leaving it in my head. It's time to learn a new IT skill.

    ReplyDelete

Love to hear what you think...