I didn't win the Endless Combinations Contest, but was really happy to get as many votes as I did (thank you guys) and am also loving every piece I made in it. The other entries were awesome and some people managed to sew a pile. I only got my 4 items sewn, but love this style of sewing so will continue the theme.
My next item is a pair of black ponte pants. I have a pair I made a few years ago but they have got pilled and old looking. I used a Vogue wardrobe pattern - Vogue 1020. I never did blog about them as I was not happy with them, but for a pair of pants I wasn't happy with, I sure wore them a lot! I liked the cut of the leg but the fit was not so good with a big dip at the back waist being the most annoying feature.
I decided to make the same pants and found I had a size 12 traced off (as well as the 10, which I think the old pants were). I needed the 12 now so that saved me some time. I decided I needed to improve the fit though, so I referred to the book Knits for Real People and cut my pieces as per their recommendation of adding 1" seams to the outside leg seam and inseam. Then I sewed the front and back crotch to within a few inches of the inside seam and pinned the rest of the seams, so that the seams are on the outside. You prepare your elastic by sewing it in the round and after very carefully pulling on the pants, the elastic is worn over the pants at the waist. Then pin and adjust, carefully!. I ended up making a pile of adjustments. I also referred to the Palmer Pletsch pants fitting book for help.
I didn't note down all the changes, but from memory, it went something like this:
- took a wedge out of the front crotch and sewed it deeper -short front crotch
- sewed the back crotch deeper and added some fabric to the top of the back waistband (I had added that to the tissue already as I knew I would need it) - this stopped the back waist dipping down.
- added width to the inseams at the top of the leg - front and back
- added to the seams from the knee down in the back piece - it was catching on my calves.
I can see why I was not happy with the fit of the first pair, even though I did wear them!
I had so many changes that after transferring them to the tissue, I then re-cut my pieces to reflect the changes and then sewed the pants. Probably still not perfect but so much better than my previous pair. In the photos I have paired them with my last piece from the endless combinations contest - the New Look top, as well as my merino Jalie cardigan, a favorite piece from the year before last. If you interested the necklace is from a little indy jewellry maker in Brisbane called Strat Designs.
Luckily Lincraft had a 50% off sale and I picked up this robust looking ponte at that time. It cost me $11 so these pants are quite the bargain. Winning!
And all this sewing is just in time as the blustery cold winds have arrived and it won't be long before I am living in my new coat!
Ciao kittens, more endless combinations and a bit of costume crafting coming up...