I have been wanting to make this blouse for ages - I have liked it since it came out - Burdastyle 06/2013-118.
I like the simple casual style of this blouse and with our current hot weather thought it would be a great addition to the wardrobe in a cool fabric. I *ahem* happened to have a suitable piece of Japanese lawn bought at Spotlight awhile back when on sale.
This is how I styled it for a day visiting the big smoke recently. It was a warm day and I found it very comfortable. The skirt is RTW - a cotton/linen blend that is silky to touch and cool to wear - I wish I could find that fabric to make another skirt like this one.
The top is pretty basic to make but I seemed to have a lot of problems. The fabric is lovely but has no give whatsoever! So lots of unpicking and re-sewing happened. I really need to work with wovens more and knits less I think to keep my skills up! Mostly I ended up with good results but I am not very happy with how the sleeves are set-in so need to work on this skill. However I did get to the point of finished is better than perfect.
The facing seemed to be done an odd way to me but I followed their instructions. I did however deviate and put a light iron on interfacing onto the facings. I wasn't sure how buttons and buttonholes may have gone otherwise.
The only other deviation from the pattern was the cuffs. I sized them as per the pattern but thought they would be really tight on my forearms and I hate that so after a night of sleeping on what to do, I decided I would use the whole length of fabric for the cuff length (ie no underlap). However that meant I could not do the buttonhole as described. So came up with the idea of using a loop for the buttonhole.
I did this using a piece of hat elastic. (Do you shudder when anyone mentions hat elastic? I still have bad memories of it as a kid, sitting under my chin or twanging me in the face somehow!) I read a few tips on the web and some advised using hair elastics but we have none of those in the house but their was hat elastic and I think it is the right weight for this top.
Getting the elastic to behave nicely while I sewed it seemed to be a bit of a trick. I ended up using a washable glue to encourage it to stay in place while I stitched.
After that I folded the cuff and sewed the end, but found that one line of stitching did not hold the elastic in place, so I unpicked it again and did a few rows of zigzag to help anchor it before re-sewing the cuff end.
This is the end result...
As I was having so many difficulties, I ended up hand sewing the cuff band down as well as the collar stand. Burda instructs you to do it with the sewing machine and I would normally try it but luck was not going my way so I took the safe option.
The back for completeness...
and the big smoke I was visiting was...
Ciao kittens, some gift sewing next...