Monday, December 15, 2014

Burdastyle 06/2013 #118 Japanese lawn blouse

I have been wanting to make this blouse for ages - I have liked it since it came out - Burdastyle 06/2013-118.


I like the simple casual style of this blouse and with our current hot weather thought it would be a great addition to the wardrobe in a cool fabric.  I  *ahem* happened to have a suitable piece of Japanese lawn bought at Spotlight awhile back when on sale.


This is how I styled it for a day visiting the big smoke recently.  It was a warm day and I found it very comfortable.  The skirt is RTW - a cotton/linen blend that is silky to touch and cool to wear - I wish I could find that fabric to make another skirt like this one.

The top is pretty basic to make but I seemed to have a lot of problems.  The fabric is lovely but has no give whatsoever!  So lots of unpicking and re-sewing happened.  I really need to work with wovens more and knits less I think to keep my skills up!  Mostly I ended up with good results but I am not very happy with how the sleeves are set-in so need to work on this skill.  However I did get to the point of finished is better than perfect.


The facing seemed to be done an odd way to me but I followed their instructions.  I did however deviate and put a light iron on interfacing onto the facings.  I wasn't sure how buttons and buttonholes may have gone otherwise.  

The only other deviation from the pattern was the cuffs.  I sized  them as per the pattern but thought they would be really tight on my forearms and I hate that so after a night of sleeping on what to do, I decided I would use the whole length of fabric for the cuff length (ie no underlap).  However that meant I could not do the buttonhole as described.  So came up with the idea of using a loop for the buttonhole.


I did this using a piece of hat elastic.  (Do you shudder when anyone mentions hat elastic?  I still have bad memories of it as a kid, sitting under my chin or twanging me in the face somehow!)  I read a few tips on the web and some advised using hair elastics but we have none of those in the house but their was hat elastic and I think it is the right weight for this top.

Getting the elastic to behave nicely while I sewed it seemed to be a bit of a trick.  I ended up using a washable glue to encourage it to stay in place while I stitched.


After that I folded the cuff and sewed the end, but found that one line of stitching did not hold the elastic in place, so I unpicked it again and did a few rows of zigzag to help anchor it before re-sewing the cuff end.


This is the end result...


As I was having so many difficulties, I ended up hand sewing the cuff band down as well as the collar stand.  Burda instructs you to do it with the sewing machine and I would normally try it but luck was not going my way so I took the safe option.

The back for completeness...


and the big smoke I was visiting  was...


Well take me to be the "B"!  This word art was erected for the G20 which was held in Brisbane recently and it is hugely popular for photos, so I believe they are making it a permanent addition. 

Ciao kittens, some gift sewing next...

22 comments:

  1. Oh despite the issues I love your top. I have loved this shirt pattern too as I think in hot weather not having a proper shirt collar is much cooler but gives some sun protection. I like your sleeve cuffs better than with a button hole. I have the same memories of hat elastic, but I too have it in my stash!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I recommend the pattern - a little shaping but still loose enough to be cool.

      Delete
  2. I love this. I bought the black colour way and have been thinking of making something similar. I use magic tape for fiddly things like that hat elastic loop. Stitch through it and then tear away!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The fabric is great. I had it folded in the suitcase and hung it for awhile and any creases in it dropped out. Great tip too - thanks!

      Delete
  3. This is a lovely blouse. That's a pattern I wouldn't have given a second glance at in the magazine. Thanks for showing me how nice it is!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I really like it and think I might make another one soon.

      Delete
  4. This is really pretty! Looks perfect for easy wearing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks - it is really easy wearing and I think will go into high rotation now.

      Delete
  5. Cute top. The fabric print looks lovely. I really like your trick with the hat elastic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks - I am glad I thought that one out, it does make the cuff comfortable to wear.

      Delete
  6. It's a beautiful blouse with an ingenious cuff alteration! I'm hearing you on sewing with wovens more often to keep your skills up. I think I've been actively avoiding sewing with them for years!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. On our dress a month 2015, I plan to make a few woven dresses!

      Delete
  7. I've been dipping into my Burda's looking for a blouse just like this, thanks for finding it for me! It looks just the thing for some sun coverage on a hot day. You've picked a gorgeous fabric for it and it looks terrific on you. Alas, there was no lovely lawn in this print when I went to spotties last week, or I would have snapped it up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I was very lucky to snag this piece. If I ever see any Japanese lawns in there again I am going to pick them up - it hardly needs ironing, lovely quality (particularly for spotties!)

      Delete
  8. Lovely blouse Sue and a pity that you had so much trouble with it but glad you can wear it as it is too nice to stay in the cupboard.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sharon - it has already been worn quite a few times.

      Delete
  9. That is a lovely blouse! and ahh, Japanese lawn is so gorgeous to wear. Maybe I need to pop in to Spotlight again :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's the first time I have used it and I am very impressed with the fabric!

      Delete
  10. Lovely blouse- great fit, great choice of fabric, looks wonderful on :)

    ReplyDelete

Love to hear what you think...