I was very lucky to have won a pattern - the Dolores Batwing top/tunic/dress - to try out and review. It has taken me longer to get to it than I expected with holidays and Xmas interruptions but I have got it done this year (just!)
I made the tunic length with short sleeves in a gorgeous royal blue jersey with a nice texture bought from Sckaffs in Brisbane on my last visit.
|Worn with my Jalie skirt!|
The only change I made was to make the sleeve cuff a lot bigger. I don't like tight sleeves and I have large upper arms so I made it 8cm (3") larger than the pattern. It made it easy to apply and is more comfortable to wear. If I ever make the long sleeve version I will need to look at the sleeve width I think.
I chose my size according to my bust and hip size. My waist is larger than the listed waist size but I didn't alter the pattern and it fits fine I think.
|The humidity we are having is not doing my hair any favours!|
The directions are easy to follow and have good photos to show the processes. The one odd thing I noticed is that the sleeve cuff and neck binding are shown on the layout not following the grain line, but I don't think that is an issue when you have a fabric with good stretch.
I am not sure I am a big fan of the neck binding and sleeve cuffs but that is a personal preference rather than an issue with the pattern. I plan to make another one of these with a linen jersey I bought recently but may leave off the sleeve bands and change the way the neckline is finished. I saw a pile of tops made in linen jersey in this style when I did a bit of snoop shopping recently.
|Linen jersey - The Fabric Store Brisbane|
I think this is a great little pattern for a quick satisfying sew that could be made in many different fabrics or hem/sleeve lengths to give a great variety of clothes that are cute and comfortable to wear. Zoe has set up a pinterest board which shows all the different makes of this pattern around the interwebs - here.
Ciao kittens - thinking I may do a quick recap of 2014 next up..