The next two items for the Fabric Stash contest. Collete patterns Sorbetto top. A free pattern available for download and very popular in sewing land. I made a few alterations to this top and I would recommend tissue fitting or a toile before you make this one up.
My first top is made from a piece of left-over fabric purchased in 2008. This is a good pattern for using those small pieces of fabric. This fabric is a Japanese quilting cotton with the most exquisite cherry blossom print. To play up the subtle pink I added a few pink buttons to this top. I have made the front pleat on this pattern slightly smaller as I was restricted by the narrow width of the cotton.
The alterations I made to the pattern were to adjust the bust dart (angle and shorten it), add about 5cm to the length and scooped out the bottom of the armholes. As I was short of fabric I didn't make bias from the same fabric but used a bias binding but turned to the inside.
The second was is a gorgeous piece of silk found in a remnant bin in January 2009. Beautiful fabric but a PITA to work with. I used french seams and also bound the armholes and neck edge to the inside using the method found in Threads magazine #145 (Thanks Belinda for pointing this out!) This time the pleat is as per the pattern.
I am not overly happy with the hem on this top and tried it twice. However I see this one being a layering piece (and so hopefully the hem won't be seen) and pictured below is the fabric for the next top I plan to make.
This is also a stash fabric, perfect for the contest but I am not sure I will get it completed this week-end to review before the contest finishes. Let's see how I go....