Saturday, March 13, 2010

Simplicity 2550 - a preview

I have been working on this dress for about three weeks now. I complicated it by deciding to line the dress. The reason I decided to do this, is that I am trying to get away from using facings and the fabric for the dress is a rayon broadcloth so I thought it would drape nicely but it tends to not want to behave itself. I bought this fabric from Gorgeous Fabrics and I have lined it with a cotton batiste.

Every step has taken me ages as the instructions do not tell you how to line it and I am not very experienced with lining so I am working it out as I go along. I will show you a photo from the inside when I finish it.

All I have left to do is to hem and finish the vent and to sew a clip at the top of the zip. As this is taking so long I couldn't wait any more to show you, so I have snapped a photo on Diana of the dress so far.

Ta dahhh!!




5 comments:

  1. that's coming together beautifully.

    I can't believe you, a BWOF old hand, is struggling with lining! Their instructions for drafting lining are some of the most head scratching ever.

    I don't know if your dress has any complications inside that make it tricky but I just trace off the facings and add seam allowances to what's left. That's it!

    The tricky part for me last time I lined a dress was attaching it nicely through the zipper.

    Anyway, I'm sure you'll come up with something very tidy. Can't wait to see it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That dress looks very promising. Are you going to model it for us. I think it will be beautiful on you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's a very pretty dress. Love the fabric!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, this is lovely. I nearly bought this pattern recently and didn't, but now I think I will. It's the perfect dress for this time of year in our climate and you'll wear it right through winter with a jacket or cardigan.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The tricky part for me last time I lined a dress was attaching it nicely through the zipper.
    Web hosting india

    ReplyDelete

Love to hear what you think...