Sunday, June 28, 2009
Sunday, June 21, 2009
This is a closer view of the gathered part of the front attached to the button band. You can see it is quite heavily gathered. You really need a soft drapey fabric for this top.
I then pressed the other side in by the seam allowance & trimmed it - can you tell I love my pinking shears! Stand still too long in my house - you get pinked!
Then I turned the band toward the inside, pressed it and edge stitched on the right side along both edges of the button band. I used my new edge stitch foot for that.
The next interesting part of the instructions ... after sewing the back pieces together and sandwiching them between the two yoke pieces.... Fold the back so that you can fit it inside the yoke - you'll have to scrunch it up a little! Fold the fronts so that you can fit them inside the yoke, just as you did the back... this is what they mean by scrunching all the pieces inside the yoke...
Sunday, June 14, 2009
As the fabric was very expensive I decided I needed to make a muslin first. I usually prefer to tissue fit but in this case it wasn't going to work.
- I was too lazy to trace the pieces off the pattern, so copied them instead on the big plan printer at work and cut out my size from the plan paper (recycled - it does actually have plans of buildings on the other side). This paper is too stiff to tissue fit.
- The pattern is fairly involved with gathered bits, pleats and four pieces in the back. Too complicated to pin together in tissue.
So muslin it was. I had a piece of poly-cotton in the stash bought for this purpose. I did make up the collar and cuff even though I know it is not necessary for the muslin, but I wanted to practice them - another good reason to do a muslin. This is the front and back of the muslin made to the pattern. The only alteration I did prior to this was shorten the sleeve length by 1".
Friday, June 12, 2009
Well I sure could do with a wasp-waist! This all started when I tried on a skirt in these lines at an Australian boutique called Cue. I love Cue clothing and can fit into them again.. hooray!
This photo shows the whole facing with the Rigalene sewn to the side seams only. Note - lots of pieces in the yoke. If you make this skirt mark all the pieces carefully!
I then used this post from Summerset of Pins and Needles to help me put in the invisible zipper. I have learnt this in a class and can do a good zipper but the pointers on matching the seam lines are invaluable and I managed this on my first pass...
I was pretty happy with that. Next up was to add a tab to the inside yoke over the top of the zipper. I don't know about you, but I hate hook and eyes that are all scratchy at the top of the zip. Usually I do nothing and the zip is fine by itself, but as this is so high-waisted I thought it could probably be reinforced a bit so there would be no zipper-slippage. First up I made a tab...
Then I put it in before adding the facing to the yoke. This is it closed....
... and open.
I used a snap as I really hate hooks and eyes and I think this will give enough holding power. If it doesn't I will change it to a button and button-hole. (I have seen this on other posts recently - Marji's posts about pencil skirts on Fibre Arts Afloat.)
Here is a pic of the inside of the skirt finished. The lining is a bit crumpled looking as I just pressed the outside yoke and hem really well using a clapper as the fabric was thick and bouncy and needed the extra press to give it a more professional finish.
And the reason there are all these photos of the skirt but none of the skirt on me... well it's too f***g cold! We are in the middle of a cold snap. Considering Winter has only just started we don't expect frosts yet or nights that drop to less then 0 degrees C (that is 32 degrees F)... brrrr! Frost on our front verge this morning...
Modelling session to follow as well as my next project... the Hot Patterns 'Fit to be Tied' shirt.