Sunday, July 17, 2016

Replicating a RTW top - Burdastyle 11/2011-114

A flashback to 2009...


I blogged about this skirt in 2009, but it is the top I wanted to show you.  I loved this top and wore it heaps.  It was a RTW top and wore out eventually but I have been wanting to make another like it.  I have been making New Look 6150 and it is a great pattern for this style of surplice top, but recently I spotted this Burdastyle pattern - 11/2011-114A.  The photo on the model doesn't look exactly like this top but the line diagram does and when I checked the reviews the neckline did sit more like the line diagram.  

Bingo!  I found the pattern I have been looking for!

I actually had in stash a fine knit in a dark brown which is really lovely and soft and I remember it was bought on sale but I am not quite sure where from.  I had bought heaps of it as it was quite cheap and I remember thinking I might make a drop pocket Jalie cardigan from it (which is a great pattern, but a fabric hog).  

So the sewing gods were smiling on me to find a piece of fabric so similar in colour to my old top, in the right fabric for the pattern and to have enough of it!  

The pattern is the illustrated sewing lesson so had great instructions and I actually learnt a new technique for thread marking lines.  I have used tailors tacks for dots before but had not come across this technique for lines.  You use doubled sewing thread and long running stitches  to sew through both fabric and pattern tissue, along the lines, leaving a thread loop about 2cm (3/4") high, after each stitch.  Then you cut the centres of all thread loops and carefully remove the tissue.  You end up with a lovely dashed line of thread on one side and the feathery tails on the other side.  Worked really well, especially for this fine knit fabric.


The only alterations I made to the pattern were to not add hem allowances on the body and sleeves.  This top is meant to be long but that would have been way too long on me.





The front pieces are interesting as they wrap to the back and form a yoke which is sewn to the back piece so there is no shoulder seams.  You get an interesting back neckline too.



I am really happy to have this great basic back in the wardrobe and in such a lovely fabric!  I think I may have to look for fabric to make another one.

Oh! and the sewing gods... they really were smiling on me.  I used a bobbin that was partially used of brown thread and this was how much thread was left after I finished the whole top. 


Ciao for now, kittens!

5 comments:

  1. Bravo Sue, its lovely! Sounds like a win all round :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. How lucky to find the exact right pattern and having the fabric you wanted. The sewing Gods surely were looking over you that day with that bobbin thread. I love when that happens!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks great and is a really a good match for your RTW top. I think I made this back when it first came out, but in very thin drape fabric that I never felt very comfortable wearing. I'm finding knit fabric much more accessible now so will have to revisit this pattern in our winter.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love this top and so glad the neckline is not like the modelled picture. This and the skirt have now been added to my pattern list.

    ReplyDelete

Love to hear what you think...