Monday, February 23, 2015

Active wear... Rashie - Fehrtrade Surf to Summit top

We have bought kayaks recently and the few times using them so far, I decided we needed better sun protection.  


I decided I would like to have a rashie with a zipper and a swim short (Jalie) as a set (with an existing bikini top) and then I could swim after a kayak session or use it at the beach.  However I decided to make the rashie for DH first to try the pattern out.    DH also wanted the top with a zipper, as it makes it easier to pull on and off and if it is really hot you can get a bit of relief half opening the zipper.  Thankfully the Fehrtrade Surf to Summit top was released about the time I started looking for a pattern for the rashie.


I love that there is so many options to personalise this pattern. I made this top with blue for the main body and sleeves and black for the side panels, neck facing and zipper shield.


The zipper I bought was a chunky plastic zipper slightly longer than what the pattern called for, so I had to lengthen the zipper placket about an inch and also make the opening a little wider to accommodate the chunky zipper.  This was not the easiest thing I have sewn but I think it was lack of experience on my part and nothing to do with the pattern.  I did a lot of basting and quite a bit of unpicking too.


I was concerned about getting the fit right as DH is broad in the shoulders, slimmer at the waist, but with a gut (tummy). This is the fit on the back.  


I suppose it could be more fitted at waist level, but this fit is comfortable and does not accentuate the tummy.

The only change I made to the pattern was to shorten the sleeve by about an inch.  The muslin ended up with only one long sleeve due to lack of fabric but I assumed his arms were the same length. :)

I offered to cut the sleeve to the same length and he could use the muslin too, but he declined... don't know why...


The swimwear fabric is quite expensive, but I have looked at prices for RTW rashies with zips and this top would have cost me half the price, so worth doing I think.  Plus then we are not limited to the colours and patterns in the RTW ones.

Ciao kittens... moving away from active wear for a little while now...  back with some pretty floral fabric next...

2 comments:

  1. It looks good Sue! Sewers can save heaps of money with swimwear. Even if you could find what you wanted in the shops, it would be $$$.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great looking rashie and no matter how we look it we are a lot better off the RTW.

    ReplyDelete

Love to hear what you think...