Thursday, August 21, 2014

The Sewing Workshop - Alex top

I recently bought some lovely black pants which are very slim in the leg (like leggings but a really firm nice fabric).  Sooo as always happens I decided I needed a tunic length top or two to wear with them.  After a little hunting around the web I ended up buying the Sewing Workshop's Alex and Olive pattern.   (For the aussies reading this, you can purchase this pattern here at Can Do Books.) Being tunics I needed a good length of fabric so bought some on my last visit to Brisbane at the Fabric Store.

I ended up with a gorgeous purple fabric for the Alex and stripe in green for the Olive.  The purple was marked as vintage and when I asked I learnt it came from a dance wear company that had sold stock off and it was from the 1980's.  The quality is divine, the colour is vibrant and I wish they still made fabric like this!  


I made the pattern to my bust size and think the sizing is pretty true.  The only change I made was to shorten the sleeve length.  The instructions were pretty good but I did insert the sleeves flat rather than follow the pattern instruction which does them in the round.


I love the details - the collar, the gathering at the back neckline and the insert piece in the centre front.  However the gathering at the back looks which lovely on Diana....


 on me does not sit nicely... 


That is about the only disappointment with this pattern. I have shown it here with my Mabel skirt but I love it with my new trousers (more than this combo).   So it has fit the bill.

Photo bombing kitten cannot be left out....


Ciao kittens , the Olive top soon...

10 comments:

  1. That pattern is right up my alley Sue! I think it looks great, despite the back gathers sitting differently. Love the colour on you too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh what a pretty color! Maybe tack the back collar in place? A really lovely top.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this pattern, too. The colour is just perfect for you and the shape works well with your Mabel.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great top Sue. Lovely colour. Really looks great on you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gorgeous coloured tunic and it looks great on you. Lovely to see Lulu!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely style Sue, the shape and colour look great on you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Brilliant tunic, and that colour is super ~ looks great on you ... J

    ReplyDelete
  8. The colour is beautiful and you can tell the fabric is of good quality the way it drapes. I think the back sits just fine. It is hard to find a nice top like this in the shops, so you are on a winner here.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love the color & it looks great on you.

    ReplyDelete

Love to hear what you think...