Saturday, July 9, 2011

Kwik sew 3693 - instant gratification in a cardi!

I have been really feeling the cold lately. We are having a cold Winter and our house is particularly cold while our renovation is happening. Instant warmth in a cardigan is available in Kwik sew 3693. I bought this pattern at the Knitwit roadshow as I was impressed with the sample they had on show. I have been looking for a suitable fabric to make it up in and, wonder of wonders, I found one in my stash when I sorted my fabric out into the new sewing studio.

I made View A in a lovely suede jersey I bought from Gorgeous Fabrics. This is a great fabric for this pattern. It has the right weight for the cardigan but still soft enough to drape nicely.


It is a brown colour and coordinates well with other pieces I have made recently.

The style of this jacket is probably a little boxy for my taste but this is out-weighed for me, by the ease and speed of making this cardigan. Sooper easy and satisfying...


My only other slight gripe is that like some other Kwik sew patterns, it is drafted with a slightly dropped shoulder. I like a nice crisp shoulder line - but I can live with it.


It is a good enough pattern that I am planning to make View B with the hood and pockets in a polar fleece hanging out in the stash cupboard. Review here for those interested.

While the reno has been happening I have been re-inspired to start crocheting again. At the Art Textiles show I bought a pattern for a beret and some lovely purple mink/merino/silk wool to make it up. I had a heap of trouble getting it going, so frogged it and started again in some left-over DK wool from the Phoebe Jane vest.

It was sooo easy to make in this wool and I knocked it up in one night!


So I went back and tried again and got my purple beret...


My only changes where to use a crochet hook heaps bigger than recommended. I love the Jenny King designs but I am a bit disappointed that they are written for people who crochet extremely loosely... anyway, now I know...

More cold weather sewing happening... when the photos happen, the blog posts will happen.. Ciao!

13 comments:

  1. The cardigan is a great basic, isn't great when you find the perfect fabric in your stash? I like the beret, one of the great things about crochet is how quickly things get done! I crochet and knit very tightly so I always have to be careful with gauge.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your new cardi, Sue. It looks cozy but still stylish. BUT I'm loving your new berets. Aren't you clever for being able to create these?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have been thinking of making a cardy like your one myself, but using the January Burda pattern. I have given up on Kwik Sew because of the shoulders - they are drafted as a very relaxed fit, and they are so big on me that I end up looking very "flash dance" - so big they won't even stay on my shoulders!

    Good to see you are being productive despite other challenges. We are having a way too warm winter, by contrast to you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. your cardy looks good - the shoulders aren`t at all noticeable from the front - the important bit you can see.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That looks like a perfect marriage of fabric to pattern, such a useful cardi. It doesn't look boxy on you, although the pattern drawings look a bit scary.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It doesn't look too boxy. You might also like the Butterick cardigan that I've just made up. Soft drapey and quick to make.

    ReplyDelete
  7. A good cardi is a great addition at this time of year - cute berets!

    ReplyDelete
  8. The cardi looks nice and cozy! I bet this isn't the only time you make it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. They don't call them Kwik-Sew for nothing! Looks great and cozy for cooler weather.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Cute berets in great colors. The cardi looks stylishly warm!

    ReplyDelete
  11. You do look warm and stylish. It's so common to wear berets in the UK. I wish we grabbed this trend too. I love your cardi.

    ReplyDelete

Love to hear what you think...