Saturday, October 16, 2010

When two hobbies collide...

OK - I first saw the reference to hobbies colliding on Cidell's blog and it must have stuck in my head.

My two hobbies have now done that as I have successfully sewn a skort to wear to gym. In fact two!

It is Jalie 2796.

The first one I made in a fabric from Gorgeous Fabrics. It is the Swiss 4-way stretch and it is perfect for this skort. I made a brown one and wore it to the gym to trial it. The fabric is beefy enough, but so soft and stretchy and even though it is not a wicking fabric, the sweating/perspiring/glow was not a real issue. Perhaps as it is on the bottom half and not over a large area. I will have to buy more of this delicious fabric! I would love to make some yoga pants form it too.

Anyway I did not get a photo of my first effort, but was so excited I made a second one which is photographed for your viewing pleasure??


This time I used the brown 4-way Swiss stretch on the side panels and waistband and a lovely thick cotton/lycra blend for the skirt front & back and shorts underneath.

Piccie of the side panel to show the detail - it has pockets, which is a nice touch...


And a sneaky peek at the compression shorts underneath. I did,the same as a lot of pattern reviewers mentioned and shortened the leg by about 4 cm (1 1/4") as I felt they were longer than was necessary and this length is now very similar to a RTW skort I have.


So comfy to wear to the gym! I have tried it in BodyStep and BodyAttack and it suits these kinds of classes very well.

Love it!

13 comments:

  1. That looks great! I do both Body Step and Body Pump. I'll have to try making one of those skorts one of these days.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great looking skort. Keep up the great work and thanks for sharing your projects with the rest of the world

    Christiana
    sewamusing.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. That looks great. I love having good looking exercise gear. Thanks for telling us where you got the fabric...always tricky to find sports fabrics.

    ReplyDelete
  4. those look fantastic! I love the idea of sewing your own workout wear. Perhaps I will have to give a pair of yoga pants a try!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great job! I have this pattern and have not made it yet...now I must!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I should make one to get priority access in my over-crowded gym. If I wore it, everyone would walk out rather than view my unsightly legs.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love them - they're cute and functional. This Jalie goes on my list to buy - if I buy 3, I get the 4th free, so I'm waiting.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You did an awesome job on the skort and they look great on you.

    ReplyDelete
  9. They are just so cool. I love the shorts. Thanks for testing them out too.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great looking skort! I finally got around to making some yoga pants to work out in, but didn't use a good fabric. Thanks for the tip on how the swiss 4 way stretch performs.

    ReplyDelete
  11. SO CUTE! I'm ready to make more. In fact, I think these are the ideal work out bottoms. I do need to try them with the shorts vs. the briefs.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow! These are a fabulous idea and they look so good on you. Di

    ReplyDelete

Love to hear what you think...