Wednesday, October 23, 2019

Tried and true... Ottobre faded stripes tee

I have a need in my wardrobe for some new summer casual clothes.  I have well and truly worn out the current ones I have!  I have devised a plan of action to add some more tees and some casual pants to my wardrobe which is my preferred week-end wear.

First off the block my TNT Ottobre faded stripes tee.  I have made this four times already and only one is left in the wardrobe now looking very tatty!  You can see them all here if you are interested ---> Tees.

I have traced off the larger size I need now (oops!) and to make it a bit interesting I have used my new to me cover stitch machine for hemming and for the bindings.


This first one is in a cotton jersey bought from The Fabric Store.  I really like the finished tee, but sewing it was a PITA.  The edges rolled mercilessly and I ended up using a lot of spray starch to try and make it behave.  For this one I added the bindings in the more traditional sewing machine way that Ottobre instructs in their tips section, but chose to use the cover stitch machine to top stitch the binding instead of using a twin needle like I have in the past.  I was pretty happy with the result.


Next up was a cotton jersey which I am pretty sure I bought from Wattle Hill Fabrics It is very bright but I think I can make it work for week-end wear.  


This time the fabric was a bit better behaved so I decided to take a deep breath and use the binding attachment I have.  I practised a heap of times and then dove in.  First the neckline binding...


Success!  Then the armhole binding...



Ba-bow... The stitching sat in the binding to start with but went off track and I ended up with one stitching line on the binding and one on the fabric.  I have decided to leave it as it is. With this fabric print I am hopeful it is not real obvious.  Any tips on what I could have done to stop this happening?

Any other cover stitch or binding tips are most welcome my stitching friends.  Ciao for now kittens...

10 comments:

  1. Nice looking t-shirts. Will have to look at the pattern for myself. Binding looks good. Don't know why they move perhaps because armhole more curved

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually the armhole is quite straight with the cap type sleeve. Maybe that was the issue??

      Delete
  2. Your bindings look great! I just bought an attachment for my cover stitch to try bindings but haven't gotten to it yet. I'll be very happy with my neck bands if they look like yours!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was easier than I thought. I needed a few practice runs though so cut plenty of binding strips to play with!

      Delete
  3. I always pray to the sewing gods when I coverstitch on bindings. I never know how they will turn out. Both T's are lovely. No one will notice the arm hole binding on the gold T. They will be admiring the color. I love it. They make a binding foot for overlockers? I will have to investigate if there is one for mine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No it is on my cover stitch machine. I have always pondered what the name of the God for sewing would be called??

      Delete
  4. The bindings look great to me. Good idea to make up some new tops.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Vicki. I am pretty happy with these tops. :)

      Delete
  5. This is so great. Thanks for sharing. You and the clothes look amazing! Such an inspiration.Love from Fabrics World USA

    ReplyDelete
  6. Have fun with your new coverstitch machine! You will be sewing all the t-shirts and then all the workout wear!

    I have a heap of fabric to make much needed t-shirts. Just need to get my mojo happening. It is often the thought of getting all my machines threaded in the right colour and working well to sew knits that slows me down.

    ReplyDelete

Love to hear what you think...