Saturday, December 15, 2012

Burdastyle 03-2008-112 ... the big 5..O dress

It's my birthday... well yesterday actually and I had that big one that starts in 5 and ends in 0!  So I had a party to try and console myself that getting older is not so bad.  Well of course a new dress is needed and I wanted a summery frock for the event.  

The pattern chosen was Burdastyle 03-2008-112 and I bought a lovely silk yoru chiffon and a satin backed crepe (or is that crepe backed satin) to line it.  The silk yoru was a PITA and gave me heaps of trouble, the poly satin back crepe was great to work with.  I learnt a lot about sewing on the bias as I ended up having to resew the side seams in the silk as they had huge ripples in them.  Second time around, after unpicking the side seams. steaming them (in the hopes that any stretched out areas would revert to normal) and then hanging for a day, hand basting, hanging again, then sewing the seams again... I got smaller ripples.  Meh!  I can live with it...

So onto the photos... (I forgot to take photos last night at the party, but got my DH to snap some this morning)


I used the magazines hemming instructions and it is basically a rolled hem sewn on the sewing machine with a zigzag stitch.  Quicker than changing the overlocker to a rolled hem (and buying more thread).  It gave the hem the lettuce leaf effect and was simple to do.  However the silk layer (even though it was cut longer than the lining) had bounced up a bit so actually appears shorter than the lining. 



Apart from the learning curve of sewing a bias seam in the silk yoru chiffon, the pattern itself was quite easy to put together.  The only other difficult part is that the sides of the front bodice are gathered to a certain length and sewn onto the strap.  By the time I fussed about with the fiddly silk, my gather was longer by a few centimetres, but I decided that may not be a bad thing.  I just had to be careful that the other side gathered to the same length so that they matched.




Well I had a great time at my party and the dress was quite comfortable to wear and I would consider making this dress again but in a easy to handle fabric!  

Happy Birthday to anyone else having a December birthday!  

21 comments:

  1. Sue, you look sensational! Birthday congratulations, the finished silk dress is very glam even if it was a pita to sew ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy birthday Sue - you are so rocking the big 50. I had mine earlier this year. Great dress - you look fab.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy birthday. Fabulous dress and fabulous you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yay! Your dress turned out beautifully. I quite like the effect of the lining peeking out the bottom. It looks very intentional, IMO.

    Glad to hear you had a great party. Wish I could have been there. Have a safe and relaxing Christmas, too. XXX

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy birthday again Sue. You picked a great style and colour to party hard.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It looks gorgeous Sue. So glad you've joined the over 50s club. :D

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy Birthday Sue! I LOVE the color you chose for your dress and you look fantastic wearing it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sue, you look fabulous! So glad you enjoyed yourself, and I, too thought the lining peeking was intentional :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your dress looks fab. Congratulations for your 50th.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Congratulations and happy birthday! You are very brave - working with the bias is tricky, I avoid it wherever possible. You did a great job.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sue, you look so happy in your lovely dress! Happy Birthday, hope your birthday celebrations continue for a few days to stretch out the fun...
    Enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Happy birthday! You look great in this colour. It's a lovely dress. I'm having the same milestone birthday next month so I'm on the lookout for a birthday dress pattern, too.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Happy Birthday! What a beautiful birthday colour! You'll have to sew a new dress for your birthday every year.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Happy birthday, you young pup! My birthday is in two weeks, but I have no idea yet what I'm going to wear. Your dress turned out beautifully.

    ReplyDelete
  15. what a lovely birthday present to yourself . Have a fun party.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Happy Birthday!!! First of all, you do not look 50. I hope I am as stylish and hip as you when I get 50, which is only 8 years away. That is a beautiful dress.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Gorgeous dress Sue and many happy returns.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Happy birthday. Great birthday frock!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Happy birthday Sue, and many happy returns! Your dress is va va voom gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Happy birthday! It's a gorgeous dress--the rich color and the chiffon overlayer are stunners.

    ReplyDelete
  21. A beautiful dress to welcome 50! Welcome to the club and happy birthday!

    ReplyDelete

Love to hear what you think...