I recently found Vogue 1179 on ebay (now OOP) after wanting it for awhile, so indulged and it was a worthwhile investment. As per my last post I have made two of these, the first in a teal jersey and immediately a second version in a geometric print. I have some photos of the second one here to show you.
The geometric print is a fabric I bought quite awhile ago and even though the colours are great for me, the print is a little large and imposing so it has been hard to find a pattern that I thought would work for it. I am super impressed that this one works really well with it.
I choose one pattern size down from what was recommended by the Vogue size chart. The main adjustment to the pattern was to increase the armhole size (by scooping it out at the bottom and taking that line back gradually to the armhole line near the shoulder.) I also added 2" to the length as I prefer it to just cover the knee (and not be above the knee).
This fabric was very soft and spongy and when I put it on Diana (my dressmaker's dummy) before adding the collar, it seemed to instantly stretch at the front neckline with all the weight of the pleats. So I quickly whipped it off and spent a night sleeping on it to work out how to ensure the neckline was not going to stretch out after adding the collar (more weight). I ended up basting some clear elastic to the neckline just inside the seam allowance, so when the collar is sewn and overlocked on, the elastic is enclosed in the overlocked seam.
BTW - I did what a lot of other reviewers did and just folded the collar wrong sides together and attached directly to the neckline instead of the multi-step process Vogue uses. I also did not use elastic in the armholes, but just turned and sewed a narrow hem twice.
A really simple, quick make that gives you a easy to wear and stylish little frock I reckon.
Ciao kittens, back soon with the teal version and then active wear... yep... back to active wear...