I loved my denim skirt Burda 12-2009-122 blogged about here so I decided I needed a second casual denim skirt . I started looking for a pattern but then had a real duh! moment when I realised that I could use the same pattern (which fit well) and alter the pattern to leave the flounce off. So this is my finished product:
Excuse the slightly crumpled skirt, it was photographed after wearing it. I lightened these shots so you can see the top stitching detail...
I had a small piece of the same denim left over from the last skirt and just managed to squeeze out the skirt. No front welt pockets again. I don't think I would have had enough fabric!
Here are the pattern pieces laid out on the fabric - you can see my altered pieces here...
Cut pieces and very small pile of scraps!
I photographed some of the techniques I use for the top stitching. For the fly front (btw, I followed the technique for the fly from the HP Marrakesh Pants pattern again), I use a piece of freezer paper. I draw the stitching line I want on the paper and cut it out. I press it in place and then stitch around the edge of the paper. Then I simply peel off the paper.
You can use the freezer paper more than once too.
For the pockets, I traced the pocket design onto some tracing paper (this is one designed for quilting).
I then pin the tracing paper to the pocket and stitch over the drawn lines.
Then it is a simple matter of pulling away the tracing paper (carefully!). Bent nose tweezers help to get the little bits out.
I have just made my first New Look 6429 dress and I love it, so another post soon...